Thursday, July 21, 2011

Jackson Joseph Gurr

No not JJ!!! was born on July 6, 2011 at 1:15 in the a.m. weighing 7lbs. 3 oz. and 18 inches long. Here he is in all his glory. Sorry if it is to graphic for all of you.

Now I will give you the story. I would imagine that some of you are wondering what has happened.
So to start this pregnancy I had placenta previa which was really very scary for me. I thought I would have to have a c-section at about 36-37 weeks. The placenta moved out of the way which made it so we no longer had those worries. Then at about 30 weeks I started swelling really bad. I never have had that swelling before and let me tell you, it is NOT fun!!! Anyways, at 35 weeks I started having high blood pressure so they made me come in several times for blood pressure check-ups and to have my blood tested for toxemia. I got a phone call from my doctor telling me that I had a little protein in my urine and elevated blood pressure. He told me he was confused because I didn't have all the signs of toxemia so he wasn't sure what to do. He told me make an appointment for the next day and get tested again. So I went in and had low blood pressure but the test results came back with elevated liver enzymes. They told me that if I had pain under my ribs on the right side to let them know. So after a few days of having horrible pain in my ribs but just thinking it was the baby pushing on them, I realized that it wasn't the baby it was under my ribs. My liver. I called the doctor and told them and they told me to go to the hospital and get checked out. This was on July 2nd. I went in and had my blood tested again and had the baby monitored. I was there for a few hours and then sent home with the instruction to make and appointment for Tuesday the 5th. Oh and I got put on bed rest, I was already on bed rest but it was moderate bed rest, now I was on strict bed rest. On Tuesday we went into our appoinment and found out that the number for my liver enzymes kept going up so my options were either to go home and let it get worse or go to the hospital and have a baby. The doctor opted for having the baby. Needless to say I was freaking out. I was going to have my baby three and half weeks early, be induced, and I was having liver issues. I guess I was having a selfish moment because I was more afraid of being induced that I was of anything else.
Well after all of that if you are still with me you must really love me and my family:)
We went home told our family, got a blessing, cried a lot, got our bags ready and headed to the hospital.
This is me,obviously, when we got to the hospital. 36 weeks and 4 days.
We got to the hospital at 5 p.m., got all the monitors set up, and then waited for....well I didn't really know what to expect. It is funny though because I was contracting before they started the pit. They started me on pit a little after that and the doctor got there at 7ish to break my water. It was a little slow getting started because I was also on magnesium for the toxemia and that together with the pit made me slow down. They turned down the magnesium and let me rest. Oh by the way when I got there I was dilated to a 3 and over 50% effaced. This is probably at 10pmish. So at 1:00 a.m. I woke up to pressure down there and thought that was weird because I have never been able to feel that pressure before. It got worse so I called in a nurse. She checked me and said 'Oh were ready to have a baby." I looked over at Cameron who woke up when the nurse came in and we just smiled at each other. They called the Dr. who was at home and must live very close because I had Jackson at 1:15. I only had to push 7 times in the time frame of two contractions and he was here. And I didnt need any stitches so when I was finally able to get up and moving I felt AMAZING!!!!
He is an adorable baby with dark brown hair and dark skin. I don't know where he got that from.
I know the picture is blurry but it shows his hair.
Because Jackson was a bit early they had respiratory therapist and nursery workers, as well as my nurses in the room. The RT looked him over and said that he looked good so they were going to leave him in with us and let us have some time together. She came back in around 2 a.m. to look him over again and that is when she said she wanted to take him to the nursery to look him over some more there. If you look at the picture of Jackson on the scale you can see a spot on his stomach that dinks in. That was part of their concern. One of his lungs was also under developed. They put him on a cpap machine to help inflate his lungs so he didn't have to work so hard and so his lungs didn't stick together. They gave him surfactant two times. I am not sure when but I know they did it twice.
(cpap machine)

I really don't know much on a time frame from here because it was all just so overwhelming. They came in and told me that he was going to be transported to a different hospital because he needed to be on a ventalator and they weren't equipped for that there.
They took him to Utah Valley around 2pm and I didn't get to see him until the next day at about 2pm. It was horrible. I was a mess. The kids and Grandma and Grandpa Gurr came and saw him before he left American Fork hospital and it freaked McKenna out to see him on all those tubes. This is what he was in when I had to say goodbye to him. He was not taken on the life flight just in an ambulance. My father in law gave him a blessing which helped but still it was a very frightening situation.

After this the pictures will all be at UV hospital.

A lot of the pictures are blurry and we will thank Carson and his trip outside with the camera on that. We are just lucky that it worked at all.
On all the scary stuff.
Finally able to get to the hospital and see my little boy.
Precious face! Even with the vent.
Off the vent and back on the cpap. We were able to hold him once he got off the vent. Daddy is feeding him.
I forgot to mention that he has long toes. Like his Daddy and big brother.
Just sunbathing.
Big Brother
Big Sister
Off the cpap
Off the cpap and just on the feeding tube.
First family picture
Getting ready to go home. (Dang I look good)
Got milk!!!
Jackson was in the hospital for 10 days and we are so happy to have him home. Carson and McKenna just love him to death, really kinda feels like that sometimes.
It got pretty tiring having to drive back and forth the 20 to 30 minute drive 2-3 times a day for feedings. I spent two nights at the hospital before he got to go home to make sure he was eating on demand. That was fun!!! Especially when Jackson's nurse was male. Makes for an awkward evening.
He is so fun to have home. When he wants to eat he give a little squawk and then quiets down. He is just letting me know that he is ready and if he has to wait to long he gives me another one and then just waits. Such a good baby.
We named Jackson after my dad, his name is Philip Joseph.

If you stuck with this post to the end you are a real trooper. This is also for scrapbooking reason so I put as much as I could on here. If you just looked at the pictures, I don't blame you. Between the length and my sweet writing skills I think I would skip to the pictures as well.
Thanks to all of you who prayed for us, put our families name in the temple, called, text or face-booked your concern. It is much appreciated.
As of today 7-21-11 Jackson weighs 7 lbs 12 oz and is 20 inches long.


Ashley said...

I'm so glad Jackson's okay! That would be so hard being away from your newborn the first day- I hope you're feeling well! He is so cute and so is your whole family! We miss you!

Rachel said...

I'm so glad he is home and doing well! I love the stash of milk!!! And you do look amazing!!!

BriANDaleen said...

Wow! What a scarey adventure! I'm so glad he's home so things can get back to "normal". He's a cutie!

May Goodman said...

Wow, my heart was in my throat the whole time I read this! What blessing he is a fighter and soooo so adorable! We would love to come see him and you guys some time! So glad to see you home and happy! Congrats guys! PS he and our Braxton share a Birthday now! Fun!

Brandi said...

holy cow! i see him in the transfer incubater and memories just flood my mind of Gavin and i cant help but shed some tears for you having to watch your baby be strolled away hooked up to who knows how many tubes and monitors while you sit and wonder and wait for the moment you get to see him again! i completely empathize with you and wish i lived closer at the beginning of this to be there for you! I am so grateful mom and dad let me be a 3rd wheel to come see you and your family! i loved every minute of it! he is darling and you do look fabulous! love you guys so much!

Us Bailey's said...

So glad everything is okay! He sure is a cutie! Glad your enjoying having him home! Good luck with everything!

Brit said...

WOW!! You and your family are just amazing!! I remember when Cameron came to the hospital when I was there before my c-section to give me a blessing and the flood of emotions for me. Just reading this was emotional...the journey that you had gone through and the power of priesthood and the Lord! I'm so glad you are all doing well! We sure do miss your family!!

Janelle said...

Dang, you do look good! :-) Congrats, you guys! He sure is cute...and lots of hair!

Bobi... said...

So glad he's home and just perfect. What a handsome boy! Love you guys!